Jason Weddle, CEO of Hamilton, has been successful precisely because he’s willing to answer the hard questions and have the tough conversations. Even with himself. For this episode of the Hot Mess Hotline, he shares the confusion that existed in the 6 inches between his ears and describes why mental clarity is more important than the business plan at certain times.
His willingness to answer these tough questions and wrestle with himself has led to his success so far. (I mean, “wrestle,” figuratively of course. Otherwise that’d be weird.)
Jason is raw and vulnerable and wants you to know what it really takes to advance from manager to director to the C-suite. He reminds us that the grass looks greener until you realize how much manure makes that growth possible.
This succession plan was 5+ years in the making and full of hard work. And no one does this work alone. He describes the power of coaching, which you know is my favorite tool, and reminds us: “The moment it becomes uncomfortable is the moment you will grow or you will want to pull back.”
Don’t pull back, my friend. Dig into this episode and then find those challengers and cheerleaders to get you to step up your game.
You’ll want to listen to the full episode for Jason’s wise advice:
- Why you need to embrace your unabashed ambition, the sooner the better
- The 6 inches between your ears can be the hottest of messes
- The deep questions you must answer in your career to get what you want
- Why you need to embrace the awkward and be willing to be challenged
- Why coaching almost always feels weird at the beginning and that’s a good thing
- Your drivers may not be what you think they are
- Your ambition might be dangerous to others but you still deserve to have it
- Make sure you allow others to embrace their ambition too
Listen as a podcast!
You can find this video as a podcast wherever you love to listen!
Subscribe to the Hot Mess Hotline now and never miss another episode, including quick tips, webinars, and in-depth interviews with leaders who have landed in a hot mess (and how they overcame it).
Lead powerful meetings and create purpose, participation and problem solving for your most valuable time
Download this toolkit and you'll get resources to:
- Easily manage task items from every meeting
- Design agendas quickly and allow folks the right info to prepare
- Hold your next effective staff meeting with focused content
- Run a quick daily meeting so your team gets more shit done
- Have your staff turn in meaningful updates so meetings are shorter
- Start meetings in an engaging way. Get everyone to laugh, not roll their eyes.
About Jason Weddle
Jason has worked for Hamilton since 2005, starting as a logistics manager and now serving as the chief executive officer. While not one to brag on himself, his biggest fans will tell you that he is one of the most articulate, inspirational leaders they have met. He is naturally positive and has a can-do attitude in an industry where deadlines and client expectations are high. He is consistently creative and innovative. Jason operates from the highest integrity, treats everyone with empathy, and expects them to perform to their highest potential. He leads by example and is a true servant leader. Jason graduated from Indiana University and participated in Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management’s Executive Scholar program.
Hamilton brings over 74 years’ experience crafting successful event marketing solutions for companies throughout North America and around the world. They partner with clients to engage their customers through exhibits, proprietary events + conferences, corporate environments, brand activations, and digital solutions across all industries. Hamilton helps companies tell their stories and bring their brands to life. For more information, visit hamilton-ex.com.