Leslie Murphy is the owner of an association management firm with tenured experience in managing people, teams, volunteers, and herself.
She shares her stories about learning more about herself and how to navigate and negotiate change with others.
Leslie shares how her lack of emotional intelligence earlier in her career didn’t taken into account others’ perspectives or needs. And a few interactions where others were willing to teach her some painful lessons.
Now she knows herself well and knows how to work around her driven, check-the-box mindset to navigate tricky stakeholder relationships and get more out of entire groups.
Because she leads many trade associations, she also has some secrets to share on how to get ahead in your industry too.
- Never be too busy to belong to your trade association or stop learning.
- Besides your own intellectual property, your network is the only asset you take from job to job.
- Every job is a stakeholder management job.
- You need a kitchen cabinet/personal board of directors to help you see your blind spots.
- Know yourself to bring out the best in others.
- There are many, many tools for self awareness. Try them all.
- When the worst happens, it can be the best thing to ever happen to you.
Lead powerful meetings and create purpose, participation and problem solving for your most valuable time
Download this toolkit and you'll get resources to:
- Easily manage task items from every meeting
- Design agendas quickly and allow folks the right info to prepare
- Hold your next effective staff meeting with focused content
- Run a quick daily meeting so your team gets more shit done
- Have your staff turn in meaningful updates so meetings are shorter
- Start meetings in an engaging way. Get everyone to laugh, not roll their eyes.
About Leslie Murphy
Leslie has been a leader in association management for more than 35 years, contributing to a variety of associations from professional, educational and philanthropic groups to an emerging trade association.
Bringing her wide skill-set of strategic planning, visionary management, and increasing member value to the organizations she serves, Leslie has a proven record for revitalizing associations and their Boards.
About Raybourn Group International
Raybourn Group International is an accredited, award winning association management, consulting and event planning firm. Founded in 1988, RGI specializes in helping nonprofit professional societies, trade associations and other membership-based organizations thrive, not just survive.
RGI serves local, state, regional, national and international organizations that total 60,000+ members in 107 countries. In 2021, RGI was named a Best Places to Work in Indiana, demonstrating our company’s exceptional culture and the commitment of our team to ongoing professional excellence.